How to arrange brand strategies in response to Metaverse?
What goods/services should companies apply to obtain full protection of their trademarks?
Chien Yeh & Associates can assist the trademark portfolio management and register the trademark in relation to “Metaverse” in Taiwan and China.
The term “metaverse” has gone viral since Facebook rebranded its name to Meta in October 2021. Some brand owners successfully enhanced their brand visibility and recognition in virtual worlds since the use of trademarks is prevalent in the metaverse and the proliferation of user-generated content nowadays.
The followings are examples showing some famous trademarks used in the virtual worlds:
- Use of “Mercedes-Benz logo” in the game called “Grand Theft Auto (GTA)”.1
- Use of “Humvee”2 in the game called “Call of Duty”3.
- “DELL”6, “Hello Kitty”7 and “Mercedes-Benz”8 hold exhibitions in the virtual worlds.
Since Asia has been ahead of the curve when it comes to digital adoption, Nike takes the lead in applying for their trademark applications in Taiwan, covering goods “virtual sports shoes, clothing or other wearing appliances”, which will be used for virtual item transactions. By doing so, Nike not only prevents someone to use their trademarks in the virtual world but also enhance their brand value.
(Trademark Appl. No. 110077008)
(Trademark Appl. No. 97096366)
Applicant: Nike, Inc.
To respond to the business opportunities of Metaverse, what steps should IP holders take?
The related classifications and goods/services to be designated are set forth for reference:
5. A Coca-Cola vending machine from the Japanese release of Shenmue for the Sega Dreamcast
6.Dell Booth in Second Life 2007 https://newskks.com/game/183041.html
7. Astralia is a 100% mesh brand in Second Life bringing you high quality furnishings, decor, and fashions.
8. Mercedes-Benz Opens Virtual Brand World in Second Life https://www.benzinsider.com/2007/02/mercedes-benz-opens-virtual-brand-world-in-second-life/